Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Momento

Bonds
Thread, felt, wood
2 inches 




Artist Reflection Statement

Bonds is a sentimental piece inspired by a memory I have with my younger sister. When I was in high school and she in middle school, we both had to take the city bus. One day, my sister said she was confident enough to take the bus by herself at the bus stop that dropped her closer to her school instead of going with me. I trusted her and went on my way but only to hear my name called halfway through my walk. I turned around to see my sister with tears in her eye. She wasn’t ready and I comforted her as we walked to the stop together. I was very fond of this moment because it reminds me of being a position of caring for her, compared to now where she grown up and rarely needs me for help. 
This piece only has three materials, 2 wooden balls, felt, and red thread. The felt represents the warmth in the moment and remembering the big winter coat my sister wore when I had turned around. The color is significant too as it was a gloomy day where it had rained the morning prior. The thread wrapped around represent the bond I have with my sister and in that moment comforted her in the embrace. Bonds is a significant piece as it shows the duality we had in the moment and how it will remain that way the older we get. 

Inspiration 

Marco Tirelli
http://socks-studio.com/2014/12/08/i-grew-up-here-but-i-never-felt-entirely-part-of-it-marco-tirellis-tiny-sculptures/

Chris Weaver
http://chrisweaver.co.nz/

Louise Bourgeois
http://artsy.net/


On Longing

Click here to view On Longing post




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Natural History of the Senses Relief Sculpture

  Mountain of Color Pom-poms, hot-glue, wood, markers 16 x 18 inches Artist Reflection Statement  This piece entitled Mountain of Color is a...